Tuesday 28 February 2012

Tad Lo Waterfalls (February 25-28)

I’m feeling sick for more than a week now because of this fucking pizza I had in Vang Vieng. I started to take antibiotics but there is only little effect till now. One day you think you feel better and start eating but then it comes back again. Two good side effects of this are that you lose weight and you save money you would have spent for food otherwise.

On Saturday I took the plane from Vientiane to Pakse. It was a small propeller machine and half of the seats were empty. The flight was super punctual and we even started 15 minutes before schedule. The domestic terminal in Vientiane was really interesting. Very little reminded you of being in an airport, it rather looked like a bus station from a small town.

After arriving in Pakse I took a taxi to the bus station and continued immediately to the Tad Lo waterfalls. The bus ride took about 2 hours and wouldn’t have been too bad if they hadn’t packed it with maybe 100 people and several tons of cargo. Someone had the fantastic idea to keep a 10 litre water deposit under my seat. Unfortunately I don’t speak the language because I wanted to explain them that this space is supposed to be reserved for my legs! I then carried the deposit on my knees together with my small backpack. There was really not a single square centimetre not used for cargo or human livings. I think under these circumstances you cannot say passenger.

My activities in Tad Lo village can be narrated quickly. I spend 2-3 hours every day for swimming and jumping the waterfalls. The rest of the day and night is reserved for sleeping, reading (I finally started reading the Magic Mountain), “eating” and using the toilet (normally after eating). There is one place with internet but it is really expensive, so I have to reduce surfing the web. It’s like wanting to reduce the number of cigarettes when you are a smoker. Yesterday was really tough because I knew that Bayern and Dortmund had played on Sunday but I didn’t know the results. My guesthouse is pretty nice. I have a nice room (with own bathroom!) and a balcony overlooking the river and the lower parts of the waterfall.

When I arrived there were quite a lot of tourists here but now it has become pretty quiet. I will leave tomorrow to 4.000 islands and continue relaxing there. I heard that the area is quite popular among backpackers so I will definitely meet more people than here (although this place here is also quite frequented for being such a laid-back village).

It’s also worth mentioning that on Sunday I witnessed the first rainfalls since my start in Bangkok. It was really refreshing and all the dust was wiped out of the air. The climate is generally more humid here than in the places I have visited before but it is not unbearable. The temperatures are now increasing from week to week and will reach their maximum before the rainy season starts in April/May. I am not planning to stay in this area until May anyway, so I hope that I can avoid the hottest period. The 32°C we have now are enough for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment