Friday 24 February 2012

Vientiane (February 24)

This entry will be an easy one. I did almost no sightseeing (because there is nothing to see) and slept a lot. The muscle ache from the activities in Vang Vieng and the kayaking tour is still very strong and I felt really low today.

In Vientiane there is a small touristic town centre which is supposed to spread some French flair. For me all the pâtisseries, salons de beauté and boutique hôtels are ridiculous because they were exclusively opened for tourists who like to breathe a bit of the country's French colonial history. Apart from the street names (I guess also for tourists) this French influence is simply non-existing. Lao people rather learn English than French and the menus of international restaurants include rather burgers, sandwiches and continental breakfast than croissants, foie gras or whatever kind of French dish. By the way, is Frappuccino French? I don't think so.

Tomorrow I will take an early flight to Pakse (in Southern Laos). I was really struggling with myself because between here and Pakse there is another highlight, the Kong Lo cave. At the end I am mentally and physically not yet ready for more bus rides in Laos after all my previous experiences so I have to skip the cave and instead take advantage of the air connection further South.

No comments:

Post a Comment