Thursday 12 April 2012

Taman Negara National Park (April 10-11)

The Taman Negara National Park is the only remaining primary rainforest in Peninsula Malaysia. You can enter the park from a small town called Kuala Tahan which has some guest houses and hotels. Being a National Park, the touristic infrastructure of Taman Negara is quite developed. It's possible to trek without guide as the paths are very well marked. I was quite irritated because the park authorities are building pedestrian bridges, so you can walk through the jungle avoiding to touch the muddy ground. They are building a sort of "jungle-light" and I think the place will definitely lose some of its charm.

Yesterday I did a 6 hours walk with plenty of stops and I have to say it was really sweaty! I think I haven't been exhausted like this on my whole trip. It was unbelievably humid and hot. Furthermore the ground was very muddy because it has been raining the whole previous night. At one place, there is a 500m canopy walk up in the trees and it was really fun walking 10-15 meters above the ground. As it could be expected I didn't see any big animals. The people told me that you cannot see them not even if you go deep into the jungle. Nevertheless Taman Negara is really a nice place and absolutely worth visiting. For one day it was ok but I wouldn't have stayed longer.

After the walk and back to the guest house I put off my shoes and one sock was full of blood. I had no idea where it came from. On my right foot, there was only a very small wound which didn't bleed anymore. The only explanation I have is that maybe an insect bit me while I was resting because I put off my shoes. I any case I will have to further observe the wound.

In the afternoon I met Mareike from Belgium who has also been on the bus to Taman Negara so I had some companionship. In general there were not many people in the park (which is good!).

This morning I took the local bus back to Jerantut which is the next bigger town and I am now waiting for a connecting bus to Kuantan where I will have to stay overnight before heading to Pulau Tioman.

No comments:

Post a Comment