Saturday 19 May 2012

Fujiyoshida (May 18-19)

The Shinkansen ride from Kyoto to Mishima was really great. If travelling could always be that comfortable! There is a flipside of the coin and you probably guess what. In Japan you should not think too much about your daily expenses because it probably prevents you from enjoying this fantastic country. Anyway it’s not the Japanese’s fault but rather the European’s that the Euro is almost on an all-time low to the Yen.

But let’s come back to the train ride. At the end of the trip the tourists of my coach suddenly stood up and pressed their noses to the windows on the left side. I first didn’t realize what was going on but then I saw it and it gave me the creeps! Mount Fuji appeared, one of the most amazing mountains I have ever seen! Then at the latest I knew that going to Japan was definitely the right thing! I got off the train at Mishima station from where I took a local bus to Fujiyoshida on the northern side of the mountain. The views were absolutely stunning! In Fujiyoshida I went to my guest house where I was supposed to sleep in a 10-bed dorm room. To my big surprise I was the only guest, meaning that I had the whole room for my own (that implies great sleep!). Today the situation hasn’t changed although it is weekend.

I got up at 7 this morning and left the guest house at 7:20 without having breakfast. The weather was fantastic and views were amazing. I wanted to arrive at the viewpoint as soon as possible in case the weather changes. Fortunately that was not the case. I had the whole pagoda-mountain viewpoint for myself and was able to take amazing pictures. Later in the morning I took the bus to the 5th station up the mountain (at 2.300m). Who would have thought that I had to use my hard shell jacket and fleece another time? At least this gives me the good feeling of not carrying this stuff for nothing! The landscape views from up there were nice but not breathtaking. You could see the snow covered cap but I would say that the mountain looks a lot more spectacular from the distance.

Back to town I had late lunch in a sushi bar and then took a long nap. My timing was perfect as it began to get cloudier in the late afternoon. This was by far the best day I had in Japan so far. It was a lonely day but having the mountain, I don’t need anybody else!

No comments:

Post a Comment