Friday 11 May 2012

Kuala Lumpur (May 10-11)

Here I am again in Kuala Lumpur. As my last experiences with backpacker places in KL were close to disgusting, I decided to book a hotel online. I don’t regret a single cent for this nice room with white bed sheets (I mean really white, not grey), towels (also white), a bathroom with rain-shower shower, aircon etc. It’s still comparably cheap because I got a special promo offer. In Japan, I will have to pay the same price for a dorm room bed!

After going to the haircutter this morning, I visited the Batu caves in a northern suburb of KL. The big cave itself is actually quite nice but not what mankind has done to it. Today it’s a Hindu pilgrim site with some small temples but it’s all extremely cheesy. There are even souvenir shops at the entrance! The floor inside the cave is entirely paved and completely destroys the cave experience. There is a long stairway you have to go up for reaching the cave. It’s beleaguered by hundreds of monkeys looking for food. I saw people feeding them, so no wonder that they reproduce uncontrolled. I have given up to get worked up about the stupidity of people. In a nutshell, visiting the Batu caves is not an indispensable activity in KL.

This afternoon I did some decent shopping in Chinatown, which means a toothbrush and a deodorant. It was so terribly hot that even that can be exhausting! Fortunately it started to rain later and the air cooled down a little bit. Unbelievable but true, I was able to buy some Japanese Yen for a good exchange rate. I hope that the bills are not faked but they seem to be alright.

Tomorrow I will finally depart for Japan. I will keep you posted as soon as possible. I heard that they also have Internet so it shouldn’t be a problem J

No comments:

Post a Comment