Saturday 5 May 2012

Kota Kinabalu (May 4-5)

OK I already knew it, Kota Kinabalu (KK) is a spotless town. Normally people use KK as a stopover to the famous Mt. Kinabalu. It’s Southeast Asia’s highest mountain with 4.095m and so crazily popular that you have to reserve weeks in advance and pay a tremendous amount of money to climb it. Obviously I didn’t purchase my permit and camp accommodation on time, so I will not climb Mt. Kinabalu. The other big highlight in this region of Malaysian Borneo beside Mt. Kinabalu is Sipadan Island – one of the world’s most famous diving sites – but same same, you need a previously arranged permit and also it’s very expensive. Instead I will go diving tomorrow in the Abdul Rahman National Park just some few kilometres off KK, which consists in a couple of islands. I hope it’s more than the poor man’s version of Sipadan.

After that, my plan is to spend the three remaining days in Borneo somewhere in the nature. Maybe I will go to the Mt. Kinabalu National Park and do some trekking at the foot of the mountain. I read that there are some decent lodges and I think that would be a nice way of concluding my stay in Borneo.

Yesterday morning Krystyna and I said goodbye. She already flew back to Kuala Lumpur from where she’s heading to Bali. We really had a great time travelling together! I took a flight to KK with a small prop aircraft – I love that! I am glad that I didn’t take the bus because I heard from other travellers that the ride takes more than 10 hours and involves numerous border crossings between Brunei and Malaysia. Look at the map and you’ll see why. Actually flying is quite cheap here so the bus is not an option for me as a 2m man. By the way I already know that my height is 6 feet and 5 inches. Everywhere people ask me and they are still not used to the metric system in Malaysia although officially they use it.

In KK I went to a guest house which someone recommended to me in Miri. It’s a nice place but the only remaining room yesterday was a tiny prison cell without window. I was too tired to go somewhere else so I accepted. Beside it was really cheap. Fortunately I was able to change the room today. Now I have a window and even aircon but I have to pay triple. I did not do any sightseeing today (due to a lack of sights), so I spent the day vagabonding around and looking for Wi-Fi places as the Wi-Fi in the guest house doesn’t work. I told them a lie saying that I have to contact my boss back in Germany and finish some work (I had this idea because I really met people working while travelling) but this didn’t seem to speed up their efforts to fix the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment