Sunday 22 January 2012

Sukhothai (January 21-22)

Ok, my first week was really chaotic, I have to admit. I can finally live well with my decision to skip Myanmar (at least I have seen Yangon). The important thing is that I’m finally on the road (and not at the airport) and that the trip can now really start!

Yesterday morning I had an early flight back to Bangkok. I was heading directly to the bus station to get a ticket northbound. There was no problem of getting a ticket to Sukhothai, so I finally left Bangkok in the early afternoon. On the bus I met Pedro from Malaga who entered the bus in Ayutthaya. It was really cool to speak Spanish again! I think he was also glad because he’s temporarily studying in South Korea and it seemed as if he was really glad to switch to his mother tongue after so much time speaking English. It’s his first time travelling and he did the mistake of booking his whole journey across Thailand in Bangkok where he got ripped off in a travel agency. They told him they were run by the government. Ok, I will not comment, everyone has to make his experiences but did you ever see a travel agency run by the government?

Pedro and I finally arrived in Sukhothai. I went to the same hostel he had booked in beforehand because it was really nice (apart from the bed mattress which made me sleep like a fakir). The town is quite nice with good places to eat and drink. No need to mention that Thai food is world class, one dish better than the other (especially for people like me who like it spicy). And the fruit shakes are absolutely great! Seems odd but eating is really important for me, it keeps up moral, like in the army.

Today we went to the Sukhothai archeological park (that’s why tourists come here). It is a huge area with rests of the former capital of the Sukhothai kingdom (13th and 14th century), including palaces and pagodas. You can enter the park with a rent bike because the different sites are quite far away from each other. That’s what we did and as you can image, the size of the bike didn’t correspond to my body height. My back and lower parts of my body now really hurt!

2 comments:

  1. Photos please!!! LG, Iris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Pedro! I came across those bad travel agencies as well and luckily did not book my trip with them. But anyways, I heard a lot of these stories... Maybe they should have more warnings in the lonely planet books.
    Good to see that you have been wiser ,-)
    Enjoy week 2 as well, Eva

    ReplyDelete