Tuesday 13 March 2012

Bangkok (March 12)

I have finally finished my loop – I’m back to Bangkok! Yesterday I met Wolf (a German guy) in the bus to the border. My original plan was staying one night in Aranya Prathet (a border town on the Thai side) and continuing the next day but he told me that there is a train to Bangkok, leaving at 2 pm. I decided to follow him because I haven’t been on a train yet during my trip and I was really curious. It was a great thing! First, the train ticket is ridiculously cheap, 48 Baht or 1,20 EUR for a six hours ride! Second, you have plenty of room for your legs and third, the train leaves you in the centre of Bangkok (not in a remote bus station). Apart from that, a train ride is nicer because you see a lot more from the landscape.

After arrival at Hua Lamphong station in Bangkok, we had dinner in a food stall opposite to the train station and met an English guy who recommended a guest house not far away from the train station. We went there and it was really nice – not cheap but brand new and with a nice common area. We decided to stay there and shared a room for one night. We also met some Swedish guys there and went to a roof top bar with them. It was actually Wolf’s idea because he knows Bangkok quite well. The bar was absolutely amazing; with an almost 360° panorama view on the river and Bangkok’s skyline. Unfortunately I left the camera and tripod in the guest house. I could have taken amazing pics!

I still have two more days in Bangkok until I return to Northern Thailand by plane. I didn't like it the first time in Bangkok, so I will give it a second chance. I think it may help not staying in the horrible Khao San road area and exploring the modern Bangkok and other sights I haven't been to before.

No comments:

Post a Comment