Wednesday 21 March 2012

Pai (March 18-21)

66 days are lying behind be and 66 days ahead. This is approximately half time. In Pai my life has completely decelerated. I’m moving my ass from bed to the hammock (checking mails and Facebook and reading news on the internet), then walking 2 minutes to town (breakfast, consisting in some toast, fruit salad and mango shake), then back to my hammock (reading one chapter of the book, about 25-30 pages), then lunch (normally a rice or noodle dish), then back to my hammock (surfing the web or in the best case reading another chapter). In the dusk I go back to town to check out if new people have arrived. I already know the hippies and Rasta people who live here or get stuck for a longer time, so I’m looking for normal travellers. I have dinner and then check out the bars.

On Monday I met a French girl I had already met in Chiang Mai. I recommended her my guest house in Pai and she actually showed up. On Tuesday morning I met her in a very bad shape. She told me that she hasn’t slept because there were rats in her bamboo hut and that she has been crying. She decided to leave Pai immediately and go back to Chiang Mai (although she wanted to stay a whole week). I have to admit that rats inside the hut are not very delightful but is that a reason to immediately leave? She could have changed the guest house... By the way, I have the bamboo hut next door!

I think I haven’t mentioned yet that on Saturday evening I went to a very nice bar with Lauren. They had really good live music there and the bar was full of people (tourists but also a lot of Thais). It was the bar’s 16th anniversary and obviously they organised gigs of the best bands you can get in Northern Thailand. The weekends seem to be quite busy here compared to “working days”, so I’m looking forward to the next weekend. It will be my last one. On Monday I go back to Chiang Mai and on Tuesday I will fly to Kuala Lumpur. The laziness of Pai will have an end then (and also the chilly nights)!

No comments:

Post a Comment